The Teatr Wielki was erected in 1825–33, according to a design by Antonio Corazzi. It was then reconstructed several times. During the 1939 seige of Warsaw it was bombarded and almost completely destroyed. In 1945–65 the company performed on other stages while the buiding was being rebuilt from rubble and extended. The new, larger and more modern opera house was opened on 19 November 1965.